Thursday, April 01, 2010

The Last of the Snow

One dilemma we often face here at Lee's Korea Blog is the issue of deciding what constitutes reasonable blogging material and what most probably doesn't. The root cause of this we prefer to blame on a grad student life devoid of regularly-spaced exciting events. Once in a while, we receive a 'boring' vote in the feedback section, which is heavily scrutinized by our various entities. This is then followed by a period of deep and thoughtful soul searching. Does our formless audience wash up on the cybershores of LKB seeking witty charm and social commentary? Or are they merely satisfied to be spoon fed the detailed minutae that constitutes a generally lacklustre existence?

IMG_1945
The answers to these questions, I know not. But last week we had some snow on campus and so I took a photo.

Yes, I think it looks pretty too.

IMG_2001
Down in the fields of Suwon, the ajossis seem to be up to all kinds of mischief. By the time I arrived on Wednesday last week, they had managed to haul up three tractors onto the roof of our abandoned building with a crane. And there they were, jackhammering away like it was nobody's business.

Now I don't know much about demolition in general, but I do know that a wrecking ball would be more in line with the real traditions of the Korean ajossi.

IMG_2004
This little fellow reminded me of the probe droid on the ice planet Hoth at the beginning of the Empire Strikes Back. But this distant ancestor lacks autonomous control, encrypted communications and a self-destruct mechanism, amongst other things.

IMG_1976
During the cold winter months, one of our favourite comfort foods is shabu-shabu. It's basically a hot pot, or steamboat, bubbling away in the centre of the table to which you add various uncooked condiments like thinly sliced beef. Apparently it was an idea brought here by the Mongols long ago as a way to make meat supplies last longer.

IMG_1962
One thing I'm getting used to around the house is finding various consumables stored at the half-consumed stage. Call me old fashioned, but when I open a can of beer I usually have the intention of drinking it all. Heather is a little different. She'll put cling wrap on a can of beer and save it for later. There's also the famous 'half a processed cheese slice in the fridge' and my favourite, the 'half a packet of ramyeon' complete with half-used seasoning powder.

IMG_1963
And here is the perpetrator herself. I'd be inclined to grumble at her if she wasn't always being cute and cheeky at the same time. Her arms are also getting pretty muscular these days.

She's been going to the gym.

IMG_1964
This is a photo of me, evidently staring at something of interest. Now who would be so cheeky as to take a photo of me with my own camera, without my knowledge? I'll give you a clue. Her name starts with an 'H' and rhymes with 'feather'.

IMG_1961
That cartoon on the building is about 15 storeys high. It's a new art installation down at Seoul Station and is made of thousands of LEDs. The whole display is animated and shows outlines of people walking at different speeds. I quite like it myself.

One thing that Seoul could do with is a bit more eye candy like this around the place.

Anyway, see you soon.

3 comments:

조안나 said...

according to my weather report... there's more coming next week...

bla said...

Hi there, I'm hoping to move to Busan or another coastal city in South Korea with my partner this year and would love it if you could give us some advice? Tell us about the city and country a little? Which areas are good to live in etc? I'll read your blog to find out more! In case you read my blog, please be assured I'm not crazy - the writing in it is mostly fiction written for other things, I don't use my blog as a diary! Look forward to hearing from you. Rachael

Lee Farrand said...

Hi Rachael. You'd be better off asking on eslcafe.com, there's more people there with wider experiences.